The first and second round groupings for the 2014 Masters Tournament were announced today. Here are some of the intriguing groups:
- Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Justin Rose – A grouping of contenders from the 2004 Masters, these three have each won a Major Championship in the last couple of years and share a whopping ten Majors between them.
- Bubba Watson, Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia – An intriguing grouping of the 2011 Masters Champion Bubba Watson, former #1 Luke Donald, and Sergio Garcia, who held the first round lead last year and finished in the top ten.
- Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson – All three players are considered among the best to never have won a Major. Day has come the closest at the Masters, with a pair of top three finishes in ’11 and ’13.
- Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Rory McIlroy – There will be no shortage of confidence or story lines in this young group. McIlroy looks to get back to his Major winning ways, Reed tees it up in his first Major, and Spieth looks to continue his inevitable ascent.
- Adam Scott, Jason Dufner, Matthew Fitzpatrick – The defending champion and many people’s favorite will play alongside last year’s PGA Championship winner and the U.S. Amateur champ.
- Zach Johnson, K.J. Choi, Steve Stricker – The 2007 Masters champ lit it up in 2013, but has hit a bit of a slump so far this year. K.J. Choi always plays well at Augusta, and Steve Stricker is healthier than ever in his pursuit of a Major Championship.
The full groupings can be found at masters.com or you can follow the link below.